How much you should weigh, depends on a variety of different factors such as your height, age, gender, frame size, muscle-to-fat ratio, and body fat distribution.
There are several methods of determining your ideal weight zone; with each method using different factors to calculate your ideal weight, such as height, waist and hip size, or frame size. Use this calculator in conjunction with other ways of determining your ideal weight, which are body mass index, waist-to-hip ratio and body fat percentage.
This weight calculator uses your frame size, gender, and height to calculate how much you should weigh.1 It also highlights that one size does not fit all. People have different body types and frame sizes, which means that even for the same height people can have a different ideal healthy weight zone.
Ideal Weight Calculator
- To determine your frame size use the frame size calculator.
- To convert pounds to kilograms use this weight converter.
- This calculator (and the weight charts below) is based on women wearing clothing weighing 3lbs and shoes with 1″ heels, and men wearing clothing weighing 5lbs and shoes with 1″ heels.
As with all methods of determining ideal weight, this weight calculator provides only an estimate. Also remember weight does not distinguish between muscle and fat mass. Measuring body fat percentage is a more accurate way to chart your weight loss progress.
How Much Should I Weigh?
The above ideal weight calculator and charts highlight how “ideal” body weight might vary between individuals based on the size of their frame. But frame size is not the only factor to consider when determining what a healthy weight is for you, which means there are other methods that can help you find your ideal weight range.
So don’t try to compare yourself with others. You want to achieve the healthiest, happiest weight for you – not for someone else.
Another important factor to consider is how body fat is distributed. That is because excess deep belly fat is associated with an increased risk of health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, and some cancers. It is possible to fall in the healthy weight BMI category, but have too much belly fat. 234
- BMI calculator. Body mass index (BMI) determines ideal weight based on height, but does not consider body composition or body shape.
- Waist-to-hip ratio calculator. Waist-to-hip ratio compares waist measurement to hip measurement, and is a measure body fat distribution.
- Body fat percentage, which estimates your total body fat. If you can, get your body fat percentage measured professionally, which can be done at fitness clubs, gyms or your local college/ university, or use the body fat calculator to get an estimate now.
Body mass index is a popular method with health professionals for determining a healthy weight range. BMI is calculated dividing a person’s weight in kg by their height squared. A higher BMI is associated with a higher level of body fat.
The disadvantage of BMI is that it does not consider body composition or body shape. In other words it does not differentiate between fat and muscle, where the fat is located, and does not take frame size into account.11
For example, an athletic person with a lot of muscle could fall in the overweight category, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. On the other hand, a person who is lightly muscled with a small frame might fall in the healthy weight category, but have unhealthy levels of body fat.12131415
Ideal Weight Chart for Women
This ideal weight chart is based on women wearing clothing weighing 3lbs and shoes with 1″ heels.
Ideal Weight Chart for Men
This ideal weight chart is based on women men wearing clothing weighing 5lbs and shoes with 1″ heels.