This classic, creamy savory salad dressing was dreamed up in the 1920s by a chef at San Francisco’s Palace Hotel for actor George Arliss, who was at the time starring in a play called, you guessed it, Green Goddess.
Doubling as both a dressing and a dip, drizzle green goddess dressing over salad, veggies, and pasta. Or serve as a sumptuous dip with crudité or add to sandwiches instead of mayonnaise.
- 2 cups watercress sprigs
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- ½ cup parsley
- 1 spring onion chopped
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon peel
- ½ medium avocado
- ½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp creamed horseradish sauce
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- Salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer the dip in an airtight container and refrigerate for 2 hours.