Start the day with your ABC’s – apple, beet, and carrot. Packed with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, the deep hue of this beautiful juice is enough to make you want to make it. And unlike most other vegetable juices, it’s rich and sweet.
Beet Juice Ingredients
Beets: Preferably use raw beets, as they contain more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants than cooked beets. If using a blender that isn’t very powerful, opt for cooked beets.
Apple: Beetroot is already sweet, but apple adds a little extra flavor and offsets some of the earthy flavor of the beets. Green apples give the beet juice a nice tangy flavor.
Carrots: Adding carrots adds extra juice, flavor, and nutrients. If you’re using a blender that isn’t powerful, you can cook the carrots a little to soften them. Some of the nutrients in cooked carrots are actually more easily absorbed than raw carrots.1
Lemon: Add lemon or lime, which brightens the flavor of the beet juice. For extra flavor you can add an orange.
Ginger: This adds a lovely kick to the beet juice.
Beet Juice Benefits
This beet juice is rich in nutrients that have anti-inflammatory benefits, can improve digestion and skin health, and may help exercise performance.
- Beet juice has been shown to boost exercise performance and lower blood pressure in people with hypertension.234
- Carrots are a great source of beta-carotene (the body turns it into vitamin A), which is important for healthy vision, immune function, and skin health. Carrots are also packed with antioxidants.5
- Apples are rich in a substance called polyphenols, which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Ginger has an anti-inflammatory effect and can help relieve nausea. It may also help reduce muscle pain and soreness after exercise.678
- Lemon is a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which is important for immune funtion and skin health. It may also improve digestion and aids the absorption of iron from plant foods (beets are rich in iron).
- 1 medium sized beet
- 4 carrots
- 2 apples
- ½ lemon
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- Wash the produce thoroughly with plenty of water. Peel the beet and cut it in cubes. Peel the carrots and cut lengthways. Slice the apples in half. Peel the lemon and ginger.
- Place fruits and vegetables into the juicer, switching between softer textured and harder produce to help the juicing process.
- Serve right away, to reap the maximum nutritional benefits, or store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.