These vegan scones are full of goodness boasting quinoa, rye, wholemeal flour and coconut oil.
Strawberries and lemon give the traditional scone a fresh twist. And no need for jam. Strawberries included – calories saved!
These glorious strawberry vegan scones are a delicious alternative to cookies or biscuits.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 4-5 fresh strawberries
- Preheat the oven at 220°C/425°F.
- In a food processor add the rye and wholemeal flour, the baking powder, the raw cane sugar and the coconut oil, and process to obtain fine crumbles. Add the cooked quinoa, the unsweetened coconut milk and freshly squeezed lemon juice, and pulse to obtain a thick dough.
- Wash the strawberries with plenty of water, then cut them in cubes.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and place it on a well floured surface. Add the strawberries and knead the dough two or three times, to incorporate.
- Roll the dough into a 1 inch high rectangle and cut it in squares, circles or any other shape you prefer. Line them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow scones to cool before serving.