This is great exercise for the lower body. It is a fantastic combination of resistance training and aerobic work. Lunges are great exercise for working the glutes, quads, inner and outer thighs and hamstrings.
Dumbbell Lunges Starting Position:
- Lift your chest up and look straight ahead, stand with your feet slightly spread apart.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand with your arms at your sides.
Dumbbell Lunges Movement:
- In a controlled movement, slowly step forward in a long stride with your right leg.
- Your foot should be far enough in front of you so that when you bend your right knee, your thigh and lower leg form a right angle.
- Lower your left leg until your knee almost touches the floor. Do not let your knee touch the floor.
- Your right knee shouldn’t pass your right foot.
- Pause briefly in this position, then slowly straighten your legs and raise your body back up to the standing position.
- Switch legs.
Dumbbell Lunges Key Points:
- Inhale while stepping forward.
- Exhale while coming up and pushing off the back foot.
- Make sure your head is up and your back straight.
- Do not do this exercise if you feel any discomfort in your knees.
- Perform 20 repetitions (10 for each leg) and 1-3 sets. Immediately go to the next exercise.