Exercise burns calories, which plays an role in weight loss and maintaining a healthy weight. Above and beyond weight loss, exercise has many important benefits, including improving physical and mental health, reducing the risk of many chronic illnesses, and increasing fitness.
The best weight loss exercise is the cardio activity you enjoy. Types of cardio include jogging, sprinting, power walking, cycling, hiking, swimming, spinning and aerobics classes.
Whatever your weight loss exercise of choice, change your routine regularly to prevent weight loss plateaus. Things you can change include the type of activity, workout, intensity, and duration.
The body senses stress and adapts as quickly as possible, your body starts to adapt to your exercise routine. When begins to adapt, you stop seeing as many results. You burn less calories and tax your muscles less efficiently.
However, once the training parameters change, your body has re-adapt, thereby accelerating your progress. If possible change your exercise routine every three to four weeks.
The Best Weight Loss Exercise
Here’s a run down of the some of the best weight loss exercises. Click here to calculate how many calories you will burn based on your body weight and exercise duration.
- Running. One of the best weight loss exercise. Running is one of the most efficient methods of burning calories. For every mile you run, you burn approx. 100 calories.
It has the highest calorie burn and, as the English say, is as cheap as chips (fries). All you need is a pair of quality running shoes. Plus, if you stick with it, you’ll get hooked, making weight loss and weight maintenance easy. Check out a beginners running plan and how to run to get started.
- Spinning or cycling. This targets thighs and calf muscles. The effectiveness for weight loss depends on speed and resistance/ incline.
- Swimming. An excellent full-body weight loss exercise. Water supports the body. Thus, less stress is placed on joints – low-impact. Brilliant for those with injuries.
- Jumping rope is a seriously simple, but effective weight loss exercise. Ten minutes of jumping rope burns the rough equivalent of running an eight-minute mile. This weight loss exercise also improves cardiovascular endurance, coordination and agility.
- Rowing. Cardio and resistance training in one fierce calorie-burning workout lasting between 20 and 40 minutes. Best used for interval training. Just make sure most of your power driving the stroke comes from large muscle of the thighs – not the upper body (a common mistake).
- Elliptical Trainer. If you can’t run this is an awesome piece of machinery. The elliptical trainer combines the cardio of running with resistance and it is low impact. Another positive is that burning the equivalent amount of calories as running feels easier on the elliptical. Great weight loss exercise. Compare the elliptical trainer with the treadmill.
- Cross-country skiing (machine or outdoors) is a fantastic endurance sport, calling on every major muscle group. Again it is a combination of resistance and cardio exercise. If you’ve got snow I suggest you ski.
- Step Aerobics targets legs, hips and glutes. It is an intense calorie-burning exercise. Calories burned during this weight loss exercise depends on speed and step height.
- Racquetball/ Squash. The high-intensity makes racquetball a great weight loss exercise.
- Rock climbing is a weight loss exercise that combines cardiovascular exercise with resistance training. This weight loss exercise burns A LOT of calories, esp. on the way up.
Focus on the exercise you are doing and make sure you’re exercising with proper form. Ad you grow more fit, slowly and steadily increase the level of difficulty.