Hearty, rich, and perfectly moist. This vegan banana bread is a little bit more special. With depth or flavor and texture, you'll be making it again and again!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 large bananas overripe
- ½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil plus more for pan
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (flax eggs, use 2 eggs for non-vegan version)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- splash unsweetened non-dairy milk (if needed)
- ½ cup nuts, dried fruit, or other favorrite add-in (e.g. chopped walnuts, pecans, raisins, grated dried coconut, chocolate chips) optional
Prepare PanPreheat the oven at 200°C/392°F. Grease baking pan with coconut oil and sprinkle with flower. Use a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan, or opt for a Bundt cake pan for a more striking presentation. Make Flax EggsCombine the ground flax seed with 5 tablespoons water to make the flax eggs. Set aside and allow to slightly thicken. Combine Banana with Wet Ingredients & SugarPeel the ripe bananas, and mash them with a fork in a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, and soaked flax seeds, and stir together until combined. Stir in Dry IngredientsAdd the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, flour, and lastly nuts (if using) one at a time, in the order listed. Stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix. Stop stirring when there are no longer any patches of flour at the bottom of the bowl. If the mixture is too thick, add two tablespoons of vegan milk of choice. BakePour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Test with a toothpick, which inserted into center should come out clean when done. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan and slicing.